Skateboarding

I sit with the moms and dads at the skate park as we watch our sons and daughters, pushing them, the way parents do now, hiring coaches and paying starving pros to teach our kids the latest trick. I don't want to sound like an old guy, but it's different now; we used to skate in parks, or on streets, tearing the shit out of curbs and benches as anyone over 30 shook their heads, and gave us dirty looks or worse. We have brought the soccer-mom and football-dad "must do better, must win" mentality to the skate park as my 7 year old son turns toward me for approval and I give him the thumbs up sign.

Things have changed, but it's still a beautiful thing watching these kids work on a trick, bleeding, twisting ankles, breaking wrists, smacking heads on concrete, working for that one moment when everything works, when the practice pays off, the pain, the hours, the concentration as the board flies slowly through the air, twisting, unconnected to torn shoes and worn soles, sliding down the steel rail, screeching metal on metal, then a slap of the wooden tail, and board, rider, and wheels float, punching gravity in the stomach, arms out, hair flying, and then, everything comes together, knees absorb the impact, the board bends, and the rider, teetering on the edge of balance, lands and with a half-smile that hides the joy exploding in his head, slowly glides away.

I just watched a movie trailer, and I can't remember the name of the movie, but it was about a kid who wants to surf Mavericks, one of the most dangerous waves in the world, and the kid's friend says this is about more than just surfing, it's about finding that one thing in life that sets you free. I feel a connection to these kids as I watch them fall again and again before finally landing that one trick that has taken hours, days, and weeks of practice. It's a feeling that transcends sports and drives us to do better, to work hard for something, to not give up on it, and to feel that flow when everything comes together, that feeling that sets us free. And as I sit here, a skateboard dad, watching my son fall as Fugazi screams in the background, I can only hope that he finds that feeling, too.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if we're about the same age, because this post really hits close to home. I might have chosen Rites of Spring, but Fugazi does the trick as well. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably about the same age. One reason I like taking him to the skate park is the the owners play good music.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post Dax! I'm a few years behind you in life, but this post really got me excited to see what my son will pursue in life. I can't wait to be a (fill in the blank)-dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time reading your blog. I loved this post.

    My kid loves to go to the skate park and I don't take him nearly enough. Influenced by my husband's BMX movies like Roam by the Collective my kid is the one shredding his shoes and destroying his boards, scooters and bikes. We can't afford to keep up with him. But the thing I love about that is his fiyah!!! That boy has passion! I don't doubt that one day that passion will be more focused. And more than likely the games he participates in will be extreme. He's intense and scares me, but I have the deepest most profound respect and admiration for the little guy. Even at 8 years old he has more guts and strength than I've ever had my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like our kids would get along great. Thanks for reading the blog and taking time to comment. I've read yours before (I think through Vanessa), and I always enjoy it, except for that last post on the menstrual cup thing, but I guess I'm not the target demographic for that.

      Delete

Ratings and Recommendations