San Diego 100 DNF Report


This was a post I didn't want to write. I want to move on, but I feel that I owe it to anyone who chooses to read this blog (you puzzle me, but I appreciate you) to write about the bad days as well as the good ones. In the end, the decision to drop out of the San Diego 100 wasn't a life-changing, dark, spiritual, overly emotional, or dramatic event. In the end, it was banal (which is a word I "drop" frequently when hanging with my "boys").

I was sick. I started puking at mile 32 and walked and stumbled for the next three to four hours, trying and failing to take in water, salt, nutrition, even a popsicle. I'll spare the technicolor details, but everything I tried to put in my mouth came out five minutes later. It was the middle of the day, it was hot, and it was a downward spiral leading to dehydration and more sickness. The decision to drop at 44 wasn't that difficult and I don't regret making it.

The decision to drop wasn't momentous, but the kindness I received on the trail was. The runners were all suffering on that stretch, an epic climb up a steep asphalt grade from Pine Creek aid station to Pioneer Mail. Without fail, everyone that passed me on that stretch stopped to make sure I was okay, asked if I needed anything, and offered to help. In the midst of my own personal struggle, I was amazed at the kindness and the shared bond of suffering that is felt out there. It lifted my spirits to see my friends Kara and Jeremy Scarbrough at the aid stations and they did everything in their power to help me get through. I also appreciate the failed efforts of Jeff Coon and Stephen Kirby who tried to motivate me to continue the race.

I want to thank my wife for being there for me, too. She is going to school to become a nurse, and I can't think of anyone more suited for the job. She has the innate ability of knowing when to be tough, and knowing when to be soft and caring. I was so happy to have her there.

A lot of people sent nice messages after I dropped, but I have to give it to Ryan Holler for summing up pretty much exactly how I felt: "I wish I could say knowing I tried, and put in the training, and competed hard, and such, is what counts. But I don't want it to count. Not finishing just sucks, and that's it. What counts is forgetting about it and going home for some quality time with our wives and kids who don't think one bit different of us either way." The only part I'm confused about is how many wives Ryan has.

The San Diego 100 is run by amazing people. The race director, Scott Mills, the volunteers, the other runners, all make this race something special. I'm excited to try it again next year.

Here are some pictures from the race.

I love this picture even though it was nearly an action shot.

With the speedy and inspiring Chris Sigel (who placed 4th) and his crew, Chad Spaman. (Pannikin represent)

photo courtesy JKS Imagery

photo courtesy JKS Imagery

Jeremy trying to tell me how to not throw up (photo courtesy JKS Imagery).

A welcome sponge bath. It's weird...I started the race with a full head of hair. (photo courtesy JKS Imagery).
Thanks for reading.

15 comments:

  1. You were out there doing amazing things on a tough day. DNFs are rough and I know it's not what you were hoping for but I am very glad that you have no regrets. Some days are amazing an some ... well ... it just wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not run a 100-miler, but having just witnessed a local 100-mile event, I am amazed at anyone who gets out there and gives it their all. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always the 100-beer challenge: 100 shots of beers in 100 minutes. Next year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you heard of the 100 mile/100 beer challenge? That would be one for the ages -- http://draftmag.com/beerrunner/bicentennial/

      Delete
  4. Hahaha! That's one of the reasons I don't write a blog. I confuse people enough with mere Facebook posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But at least, at the end of it all, you still have an epic beard. So there's that.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work and great write up
    Enjoy reading your posts, as always

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, what is next? How come the KKCW is not on your list yet? :) Surely Kirby and T-Bone have mentioned it to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a whole different level of suffering, and if my stomach couldn't handle Gatorade and GU then...

      Delete
  8. Everyone I know who had completed 100 miles has also DNF'ed 100 miles. Sometimes all the cajoling in the world will not convince your body that its a good idea....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate that you can keep you humor in this type of situation! Sometimes, the cards don't play out the way we would like them. Best to you on your recovery, and I will hope for better results to come, but will look forward more to simply reading about your future tales.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent report Dax. Sorry you had to drop - keep in mind that that course is a killer. Kudos to you for hanging in there to 44. Better luck next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only 44 miles in the searing heat while nauseated and puking? Buck up!!!
    Dax, seriously...your humor (and wisdom) come shining through as always. So proud of you...and think there should be some sort of medal for upping the most chuck. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations