King of the Hill Half Marathon -- Race Report


The King of the Hill half marathon at El Capitan nearly broke me. I guess it was a beautifully rugged course, but in reality, I wasn't really feeling up to soaking in the view. The trail was steep, both up and down, and much hiking was done on the day. Towards the end, I couldn't really muster up more than a slow jog on anything except the few portions of the race that were downhill, and even the downhills were brutal and not very runnable.

The race started with ten burpees, then each aid station on the way to El Capitan peak had some type of exercise that you were required to do before going on. At one, it was mountain climbers, and at another it was tuck jumps and starbursts. It was a hot day and towards the end I was seeing stars. I remember finishing, walking to the shade and sitting on the top rail of a fence, swaying forward and backward and thinking I should probably not be sitting up there, but too tired to do anything about it. I eventually summoned the strength to down a couple of barley-based recovery drinks and felt better almost immediately.

I finished 4th in the under 40 "whipper-snapper" division in 2:10. I'm not sure of the overall placing, maybe 7th.

It was grueling in the true sense of the word, but I wouldn't expect anything less from race director Joe Decker (of Gut Check Fitness). Driving away from the race, I swore to myself that I'd never do that one again, but I hear they're going to be putting on a full marathon early next year.

That might be fun.

The turnaround point at the summit
Some boulder-scrambling towards the halfway point

I think I ran that first 20 minutes and the last 30 minutes

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty intense half. I don't think I could handle doing all the exercises at the aid stations. Congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that mtn! Awesome report Dax! Tu amigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go Dax! One of these days I'll muster up some energy to go on a run with you, but first I have business to attend to in order to fund my fun activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I you're seriously awesome - and so's that mountain, what amazing views!!!!!!! Can't believe you could do that in 2:10, WITH star jumps! (That's a new one on me!) Congratulations on your position :) Hope you're resting now!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations