Cuyamaca 3 Peaks 50K -- 20 Second Race Report

This was my last hard effort before the Canadian Death Race. My goal was to take the first 20 miles pretty easy and run most of the last 10.

I felt really good during most of the race. It was pretty hot and I went through 8-9 liters of Gatorade, about 20 salt tablets, and 8 GUs.

The aid station at the top of Cuyamaca Peak, the toughest climb of the day, was awesome. My friend Carl was up there handing out Otter Pops, and at the time it was a little piece of frozen heaven.

I ran the whole thing with Jess, who is in great shape for the Death Race.

It was great seeing so many people on the course and at the end of the race. Chris killed it, setting a new course record, and finishing 50 minutes ahead of 2nd place. I finished top 10 in 6:12. I'm happy with that.

I listened to Dr. Dre's The Chronic on the drive home, really loud, because that's the only way it sounds good.

Thanks for reading.

Course (it was designed to look like an angry Pikachu)

Cuyamaca 3 Peaks Elevation Profile

7 comments:

  1. Hahahaha... "angry Pikachu" and it DOES!
    Awesome (and smart) race man! You're ready! After you rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice race, Dax. You look ready for CDR. The Otter Pops were courtesy of Deborah Acosta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does this rate against other 50ks you have done in terms of intensity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this race and recommend it if you are thinking about a 50K. There is a bit of climbing and it can get hot out there, but the support is awesome. It's a beautiful course, too, so you always have something nice to look at as you climb the peaks. It rates pretty high in intensity with other 50Ks I have done. About the same as Noble Canyon.

      Delete
  4. I'm coming over from AZ to run this in a couple weeks. Just curious, are the trails very technical? What's the course record? I couldn't find any other race reports on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Korey, I don't think the trails are all that technical, but that means different things to different people. I remember some nice, smooth singletrack, some wider trails and some jeep roads. Nothing too rocky. Chris Sigel holds the course record at 5:05 and he set that last year running the whole thing by himself (2nd place came in at 5:55). I think Ben Hian is running it this year, and I'm sure he'll be trying to reclaim the course record. It's not a fast course, and as you can see by the elevation profile, there are some pretty good climbs. Have a great race. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Right on! Hey, thanks for the response.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations