Mile Repeats and Camp Pendleton Mud Run

Running a lot this week, and it's not all the long, slow variety. Today I went down to the Batiquitos Lagoon Trail, which has become my go-to course for flat interval sessions. I did a 3 mile warm-up, then 4 x 200s to get the muscles firing, then 6 x 1 mile repeats. Lucho told me not to look at my watch during this; just pace by feel and hit 6:30-6:40 per mile, but I could also go 6:20s if I felt good. I guess I felt good, although the other hikers out that day might have seen the death mask I was wearing or heard the quiet curses at the end of each interval and thought otherwise. I paced myself well, hitting 6:22, 6:21, 6:21, 6:19, 6:29, and 6:19. The only anomaly was the fifth one; the next to last interval is always the hardest, and I felt slow even though I hit 6:29 (@humblebrag). It definitely hurt, but it's nice to see the times come down and the effort level stay the same.

Post-workout I drank 16 oz. of Gatorade and 20 oz. of Infinit Recovery drink. I stopped at the gas station on the way home and bought a bottle of chocolate milk and a bottle of V-8 and drank both of those one after the other. I'm not sure how I can simultaneously crave V-8 and chocolate milk, but they have both been my recovery drinks of choice lately. I'm sure it has something to do with protein, salt, and my baby-like Pavlovian affection for the Nestle Quik bunny.

Saturday, I ran the Camp Pendleton Mud Run with a group of four friends. We won our division last year, and this year, while running much faster, we came in 3rd. It's always a fun race, and they had some really cool trophies this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations