Another Life Lost to CF

Katrina
It was a rough day yesterday. We lost another good one to CF. She was a good friend of my sister's; the two spent a lot of time in the hospital together. My sister, Sharlie, kept us updated on Katrina's story. Sharlie posted a plea from Katrina's family, a plea for living lung lobe donors. Katrina was on the lung transplant list, but her time had run out for cadaveric donors. Many people stepped up and were tested to see if they had the proper blood type, two strangers were matches, and agreed to give one lobe each to Katrina. And, as my wife told me this morning, if there is any saving grace to this sad story, it is that two people were willing to step up and give up part of their lungs to save the life of someone they didn't know.

Unfortunately, Katrina's kidneys failed and she was unable to go through the transplant surgery. She passed away yesterday surrounded by her husband and her family.

My heart aches for the family, and for my sister, Sharlie. I feel that I have to spread the word about CF to as many people as I can. The lives of thousands, including my sister, my niece, and my nephew, depend on your help.

I set up this blog as a way to share my love of running. I have a modest number of readers, and I have tried to keep the focus on pure running. However, when it comes to this cause, I will selfishly, and unashamedly, ask and plead for your attention. So many of you have helped already, and your dollars are making a world of difference for so many who struggle with this disease. Thank you for your help. I thank you, my family thanks you. Here is what you can do:

Donate to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (this is what I'm getting my dad for Father's day...sorry to ruin the surprise, dad).

Become an organ donor.

Share this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations